Saturday, April 1, 2017

End of an Error

So, I finally played a few games of 3rd edition Warhammer Fantasy. My army wasn't what I hoped it would be. It did not do well at all. The rules for Realm of Chaos in 3rd ed are very convoluted and leave your army pretty weak. I somehow managed to pick an army that is problematic in a game that almost no one plays, making it very difficult to have any fun with it. So I have decided to rebase the whole army to use it in Age of Sigmar games. I've had a lot of fun playing both the regular game and the Hinterlands variation. The biggest problem is the cost of buying the new bases. The stores around me sell 32mm bases for $.50 each. I'm going to need at least 30 not counting larger bases for trolls and my chaos shrine and palanquin. Still, it will be worth it in the end. I'm hoping there will be a new Nurgle book released while I'm working on rebasing. I need an entry for pestigor. When I'm done rebasing the army I'll do a group shot, rather than reposting all the same units as I rebase them. In the meantime I'll be working on my Death army. In classic fashion I was attracted to AoS by the new Tzeentch models, but ended up getting hooked on the Death models.

P.S. This is not an April Fools post.

4 comments:

  1. I don't know how far you are in your rebasing process, but you should consider using 25mm. Since the Oldhammer figs are smaller, they'll fit on them and you could still use them for third Ed. if you wanted too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, GW will sell you 32mm bases for $0.40 each: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/100-x-32mm-base

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try not to get too hung up on winning/ losing but was the game fun and interesting. As per your comments on facebook, I agree that 3rd can be a slog, more of a rugby scrum than a basketball fast break. The games I have enjoyed the most is where we had a gentleperson's agreement about a few rules modifications and added some objectives other than just annihilating eachother. I personally base all my fantasy for 3rd, I rationalize that I can use it for skirmish games but I will have a harder time using round based minis for 3rd. But in short, play your way and how you enjoy it. Just keep painting great models.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I agree about the winning and losing thing. It wasn't about that. It just wasn't as fun as I thought it was going to be. I find AoS is a lot closer to what I was looking for. The way their "resolution" works is a lot better than most of the systems I've seen. It isn't devastating unless you lost the combat by a LOT. They get other things right as well. The only thing I don't like is their summoning system. It is, for the most part, useless.

    ReplyDelete